Question
Posted by: Lee | 2004/10/26

GSD not wanting males

I have a 3 year olf female GSD and a 2 year old male GSD who I am trying to get to mate. The problem is when the female comes on heat everytime the male tries to cover her she will not allow him too. She sits down everytime he tries. We then took her to a friends home who also has a male GSD and she did the same thing. Do you think there is a problem and if so what?

Your timing might be wrong and she is not yet ready to receive, or she simply is not interested in mating. If you really want her to breed, get assistance from a veterinarian that deals with this type of problem. The veterinarian will then also examine her and make sure that she is healthy and has no physical reasons for avoiding mating.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/26

U have a very clever girl dog who has realised that she doesnt want to the bearer of possibly unwanted puppies !!!

Breeding GSD is best left to the experts and if u find me rude them im sorry ....

Have both dogs beeen checked for hip dysplasia ?? u do know that in GSD this is a major problem ? are both dogs KUSA registered ?? Are both dogs temprement tested and fine examples of the breed ??

If u answer no to any of the above then ask yourself why u want to breed ?? because unless u are breeding only to better the breed u are in my opinion being irresponsible.

Reply to Carol