Posted by: Etienne | 2009/06/26

Growth over eye

I went for an eye test about two weeks ago, the doctor told me that there' s a growth on my left eye (it goes red when I' m tired), and it stretches from below my nose on the inside towards the center.
She said that it' s nothing to worry about now, but if it grows further towards the pupil, I' ll have to have it surgically removed. She did mention what it' s called, but I was a bit freaked out that I can' t remember now... From what I could understand from her trying to explain it to me, it' s sort of a protection (vlies - I don' t know what the English word is, sorry) that grows if the eyes are put under a lot of stress, like bright sunlight, computer screens, etc. etc.
Could you tell me what this is so I could read up some more about it, as well as what your opinion is on this, please?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


It sounds like if you have a pterygium on your conjunctiva (the white of your eye). If you are concerned about this, you can have it removed. Wearing sunglasses and using eye lubricants, i.e. Tears Naturale, frequently, will reduce the size of the benign growth.

Refer to the following link for a detailed explanation:


Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.