Question
Posted by: pookie | 2005/12/12

Growth on Testicles

My Chow has two round marble-like growths on each testicle (almost like two smaller testicles within the normal ones). He has had these since I got hinm at 6 weeks and is now 18 months. It doesn't seem to bother him at all and he is otherwise healthy. What could it be?

You are probably referring to the epididymis, the cap of the testicle and the beginning of the vas deference (seed tubule). This is a normal part of the testicle but is more palpable in certain dogs.

Next time you get your veterinarian, ask him to double check that this is indeed what you are feeling.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: Acineth | 2005/12/13

If you had a growth in that area, but it wasn't painful, you'd still have it checked out. Why not do the same for your dependant?

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Lissa | 2005/12/12

Hi.,
It sounds like it could be some sort of tumor. if it hasnt bothered him and he's a perfectly healthy boy then it's obviously not dangerous, unless they have changed in size, and colour then they can be serious.
If your not intending to breed with him, then it would probably be a good idea to get him neutered.
I would consult your vet about this first and get the growths tested to see whether they pose any threat to your dog or not. If you dont want to get him neutered and the growths are not a problem he should be fine.

Just get him checked by the vet!
hope all is well :-)

Reply to Lissa