Question
Posted by: SUE | 2004/12/09

Growth in womb

Hi Doctor
I recently went to see my doctor after a recent miscarriage she said there was a mole or growth in the womb that caused the miscarrage, everything else was fine and she said the first scan it was a normal pregnancy and then the growth formed, she now says and may have to have another D&C and did a bloodtest.
Could you tell me please what is this mole and how does it form and can i prevent it. Also can you tell me shouldnt the first D&C be done properly? And the womb to be cleaned out properly?

If you had a molar pregnancy, this means that the fetus did not form, but instead the placenta was abnormally developed ( a growth). Sometimes this can persist even after a D&C, hence the need for follow -up blood tests. There is no way that you can do anything to prevent this. It si not a question of the first D&C not being doen properly, rather that there can be persistence/recurrence of the growth. Sometimes, chemotherapy is necessary as well.

1
Posted by: PG Lady | 2004/12/10

I had a similar thing in my uterus but it was called a "septum" - i had 2 miscarriages before this was diagnosed. My gynae did a hystoscope to determine how bit it was and xrays etc and then I had a small op procedure in march to have it cut out. I am now preggies for the 3rd time (25 weeks) so that seems to have been my problem too. Research "uterus septum" on google for some useful sites that might give you more information.

Septate Uterus:
a partial lack of resorption of the poorly vascularized tissue within the uterine cavity. The remaining tissue creates a wedge shaped septum in the fundus (top) of the uterine cavity. Implantation of an embryo onto this septum, and within a Septate uterus, has a markedly greater chance of spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) compared with a normally developed uterus. There is also an increase in preterm labor and delivery as well as abnormal fetal lie or presentation (such as breech). Fortunately, the repair of the septate uterus is fairly straightforward and usually very effective, requiring an outpatient surgical procedure (hysteroscopy). Reportedly, repair of a septate uterus will improve the miscarriage rate from about 80-90% if untreated to about 10-15% following treatment.

Reply to PG Lady