Question
Posted by: Growing pains are they real | 2007/05/15

GrowingPains in Child

Hi My son is almost 6 years old now and for the past few years he has suffered with really bad growing pains. I read that dairy products can contribute towards this condition and as my son is lactose intolerant we dont give him dairy. He is taking supplements of a natural source namely, Urticalcin and tissue salts 1 & 2 and his conditon is slightly better but not gone. What can I do and Why is he getting these pains. could it be something serious.

Dear Growing pains
Yes they are real and very sore too! One always has to let a pediatrician just check that he does not have any underlying disease like a cancer in the bone, or hormonal or renal disorders that causes very low blood calcium. If his physical examination, x/rays and blood tests are normal, try giving him ½ berocca calcium daily, and give him something like Ponstan and put a hot water bottle on the affected limb when it is painful. I personally think it has something to do with overexertion of the legs – my son tended to get this after playing tennis and I remember as child that I also had these pains in my legs after a physically tiring day.