Question
Posted by: Cristel | 2004/11/02

GROWING PAINS IN 3-Year old

I would like to ask about knee-pain that my 3 year-old son is experiencing. I myself experienced this until I was about 15. I can describe it as a throbbing inside the knees. Very few painkillers helped, massage seemed to work better. As I am 28 now, I hoped there might have been some advance made by now. Today I still want to cry if I have to talk about the pain I experienced, because I was told Im faking it or imagining it, and only me understands my childs pain, his dad also slams it as looking for attention ! My one sisters children also experience this, although my other 2 sisters' dont !

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Cristel
Growing pains definitely exist although many doctors will tell you differently!
Firstly- I think you need to take your child to a paediatrician to establish whether there is indeed a cause for this pain- just to make sure and put your mind at ease. Boys are usually quite rambunctious creatures and your son may be jumping and running a lot during the day which may exacerbate the pain (although you will not be able to stop him!). Pain killers is not something you want to give a 3 year old constantly. Please ask a physiotherapist for some advice regarding heat therapy etc. Aromatherapy massages and oils might also be the answer- I just don't know!
Tell Dad too that although 3 year olds are good at manipulating they usually choose a less painful way!
Hope you get an answer soon