Question
Posted by: Nat | 2003/01/22

"Growing" Pains

Dear Doc,

I'm almost 27 years old and experience a very similar feeling to "growing" pains on most evenings and even sometimes during the day, regardless of whether I exercised or not. It feels as if my actual bones are aching from the knee down. No amount of massaging eleviates the feeling. One of my friends said that I might have a defficiency of some sort (e.g. calcium or salt). I've had shin splints (refer to "pain in shin bones lizzie 26/11/2002") in 1998, but the pain I have is not concentrated on the shin only. Can you offer advice?

Nat, it’s difficult to say what the problem is without being able to examine you. It might be due to an electrolyte imbalance, a viral infection, fibromyalgia, arthritis, and a host of other diseases. The best would be to see your doctor and have it sorted out. Good luck.

2
Posted by: Me | 2003/01/24

You might have Restless Leg syndrome... Do your feet also feel hot? Try taking some magnesium and calsium supplements.

Reply to Me
Posted by: Nadene | 2003/01/22

This sounds familiar. Does it also hurt in the mornings when you get up and walk and in the evenings it feels as if your legs and feet want to fall off as if you have just walked for miles and miles? I have been feeling this aswell and am also wondering what it can be.

Reply to Nadene