Question
Posted by: Denise (nee Sello) | 2004/11/22

Group Dynamics: The Enemy Within

Some time ago I posted a query regarding etiquette when trying solve problems within a dysfunctional group led by a glassy-eyed maniac that was completely out of touch with reality.

Without delighting (OK, not overtly) in his downfall, my ex Fearless Leader has fallen from grace.Tut tut. My colleagues are in complete disarray, scrambling for new alliances so speedily that they would make the captain of the Oceanus look positively lethargic. Needless to say, moral within the group is low, everyone developing sore necks from watching their backs and scheming how to become the next Boss at the same time.

Boston Rob would scratch his jaw in delight at this group, squinting his eyes in that steely-eyed glaze while he worked out who to make clash with whom.

As we all deny the creeping ambition, torn between the perils and rewards of seniority, I play my cards close to my bosom. Its hard to sharpen a knife and glance over your shoulder at the same time. One can so easily be cut by one's own blade.

I will let you know whether I become the next boss or not, or if Reason will return to her Throne.

As ever, Deinse / Sello, you describe events with sparkling style. I can't pretend to be sorry to learn of the downfall of Fearless Leader ! Maybe there's a lesson we all need to learn here, about hubris ( the Greeks DID have a word for it !), and how nasty people who over-reach themselves, sometimes fall over. Hope you avoid selfinflicted blade wounds, and here's wishing you success in the shark pool. Isn't it possible that you might become the next boss as an example of Reason returning to her throne ?

2
Posted by: Lulu | 2004/11/22

I have to agree. You still delight with your postings.

Good luck in the competition to replace The Fearless Leader. Assuming you want the position, that is...

Reply to Lulu
Posted by: Mary-Ann | 2004/11/22

I couldn't help but chuckle at your comment. You have made my day with your way with words. It reminds me of the maniac boss I had (the one that has been harassing me on my way to work and back for the last 2 years). Oh, how the mighty have fallen and now the lady (or is that scum/ tramp?) sits at home because nobody will employ her. No wonder she stalks me all the time. She literally has nothing better to do. Ha! Ha!

Reply to Mary-Ann