Question
Posted by: bananarama | 2007/04/26

Grossly normal gallbladder

Hi! I just had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago. I am looking at the surgeon's report, and it says that I had a grossly normal gallbladder. Does that mean that there was nothing wrong with it? When I had a HIDA scan, my EF was 9.5%. I had no stones or sludge. What does it mean??

Dear Bananarama
I think it is a typing mistake, should probably have been a grossly abnormal gallbladder. An ejection fraction less than 30% is abnormal - meaning that the gall bladder is not contracting and emptying properly. Stones or sludge form when gall just lies in the gallbladder for a long time.