Question
Posted by: Jaz | 2007/04/05

Gross question!

I have had problems with my digestive system for a long time (either constipated or diahrea) i have gone to the doctor because lately its been very severe constipation and he gave me laxette. I stopped using it because it gave me severe flatulence and so i started eating a lot healthier instead. That seemed to have done the trick but my stools seem to look very unprocessed. Almost like no food has been absorbed into my body (i do chew properly) pieces of food in feces like tomatoes, nuts or carrots. Is that normal or could it be someting more serious? I DREAD getting a coloscopmy, so would like to avoid at all costs.

Another question: I have a strange pain on my left side that seems to be related to the recent constipation. Goes from stomach to back but more painful near back and side, just underneath my last rib bone (above hip bone) From looking at where organs are placed in body it seems to be my colon?

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

J

Dear Jaz
I think you should see a gastro-enterologist ( see easyinfo.co.za under medical). Why are you scared of the colonoscopy? They put you under anaesthetic, and the worst part is only not to eat for 24 hours before and to take the laxatives to clean the bowel - it is not sore, you don't know when they are doing it, and for us doctors its a wonderful examination because you can see exactly what the problem is and know exactly what to do to rectify it. You should not have undigested food in the stool normally. Tell me if there is anything else that scares you about the examination?
see http://www.mayoclinic.co.za/gastro_intestinal_unit.htm

2
Posted by: annabella | 2007/04/05

Do please go for the colonscopy , its really over so quickly and its not painful at all a little uncomfortable for two seconds then its over.

Reply to annabella
Posted by: Not so mad | 2007/04/05

Go for the colonoscopy - its not THAT bad. Saved me as a stage 1 cancerous pollyp was found and removed. Pain on left - Colon runs to the left and round the top.

Reply to Not so mad