Question
Posted by: "Hop along" Rob | 2004/03/11

Groin injury?

Hi Mr Heel

I'd greatly appreciate your opinion on something. I'm suffering from a bit of pain in my groin that runs down into my inner thigh. I'm training for the Two Oceans Half Marathon and did some gym work for my legs last week Thurs. On Saturday I went for a long run and then went for a very easy jog on Monday. Getting home on Monday my inner thigh felt a little tender but there was no swelling/ discolouration. I put on some anti-inflammatory cream and rested it. By Wednesday it felt a bit better and was sore to walk on. So, thinking it was a good idea at the time, I ran a 10k last night. Now, I'm in agony - limping when I walk and taking anti-inflammatory tablets and massaging Arnica cream. There is still no swelling or discolouration which I understand to mean that there is a good chance that the muscle or tendon is not torn. Do you think it might just be a strain? If so - any ideas on how long it might take to heal, what else I can do to speed up recovery, and whether I should see somebody?
I'd really appreciate your advice. And many thanks for this invaluable service.
Regards,

Rob

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Rob

Often the work we do in the gym does not use our muscles in the way you would have developed them while running. This could have made you work a component of your legs that could not cope.

My advise would be this, train by running and stretching after you run - include in the stretching your hip muscles as often this area is not giving the knee enough support, and so you increase the risks of injury. There is an odd reflex point you can try - about 1 cm out from each nipple - rub the area for about 30 seconds - you need to find the very uncomfortable part. This should wake up the inner thigh component and put the biomechanics back in balance. Let me know directly if you need any further advice. If you are in Cape Town we are going to be running a 20 hour workshop on preparing runners for the 2Oceans and Comrades that I could let you know more about.

Douglas

2
Posted by: sam | 2004/05/21

Not a great sportsperson but injured my groin last year thru a bicycle fall. Now as i jumped up the other day tore my muscles again very painful struggling to walk. please advise 14years old male

Reply to sam
Posted by: Sy | 2004/04/08

Hernia? Possible connection to painful groin?

Reply to Sy