Question
Posted by: Just me | 2008/07/01

Grief counselling

Hi CS and everyone,

Last week I unexpectedly lost a very young and close family member. I'm still in shock and cannot imagine life without him. What makes it worse is the manner in which he died (he was brutally murdered), and the fact that he was only 18. I had so many dreams and hopes for him, and I loved him dearly.
I don't know how to cope with his death and someone has suggested I speak to a grief cousilor. Can you recommend someone in the Jhb area?

My sincere condolences, JM -- would that such tragedies were rarer. YOu know, JM, I can't reccoment specific counsellors or shrinks. As you know, I am very familiar with grief just now. FAMSA may be able to recommend counsellors with that specific skill, as could your local hospice, maybe CANSA. ANy death is shocking, but maybe especially so when the person is young and the death was violent. Seeking counselling is a good idea. Keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on.