Question
Posted by: Tammycdtv | 2005/12/01

Great News!

YAY!

From the News24 web site :

Johannesburg - South Africa's highest court on Thursday ruled in favour of same-sex marriages, striking down a law that banned gay unions and ordering parliament to draft new legislation within a year.

"The common law definition of marriage is declared to be inconsistent with the constitution and invalid to the extent that it does not permit same-sex couples to enjoy the status and benefits it accords heterosexual couples," said Justice Albie Sachs in a ruling delivered by the constitutional court.

The decision followed a Supreme Court of Appeal ruling in November 2004 that said same-sex couples could get married following an application by lesbian couple Marie Fourie and Cecilia Bonthuys.

It requested that the courts change the common-law definition of marriage from being a "union between a man and a woman" to a "union between two persons".

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Well done guys, this is a huge HUGE event for the gay and lesbian community, in South Africa but also internationally. A huge step forward in terms of human rights.

We've got something to celebrate!

7
Posted by: Paul | 2005/12/02

Agree with Nikki, perhaps the real work starts now, there'll be a backlash (already the ACDP party has objected and other politicians will climb on the band-wagon) so we'll need to be vigilent - watch the press for those nasty letters and respond to them!

Reply to Paul
Posted by: Nikki | 2005/12/02

Yes it is worth celebrating but I also think we should be wide awake and not caught sleeping as NO DOUBT there are going to be a lot of ANTI provacation trying to influence government and the rule makers.

Now more then ever we need to keep and eye on developments and perhaps prepare our own presentation to government and the law makers. After all, this ruling has already left the door open for the ANTI's to move in.

THe statement "Marriage officers could refuse to marry a same-sex couple if it went against their conscience, the court added."
should not be taken lightly ................. ??

Reply to Nikki
Posted by: Brett | 2005/12/01

Hi everyone - I'm surprised this forum has been so quiet today, maybe people need time to process the news but I agree with Angelina and Kirby, we need to honour some people, how do you think we could do this? Something to celebrate, without doubt.

Reply to Brett
Posted by: Kirby | 2005/12/01

I agree with you Angelina, we should do something for those two ladies, after all they started all this. This is the best news I have heard in a long time. I am definately going to celebrate it tonight.

Thanks for this forum who keeps us updated. You great!

Reply to Kirby
Posted by: Tammycdtv | 2005/12/01

Note to all readers : the following is meant as a JOKE :

:D

Now all I need to do is find a woman who will marry me. :D

Reply to Tammycdtv
Posted by: Nikki | 2005/12/01

THere is HOPE afterall .......... WELL DONE !!!!

Reply to Nikki
Posted by: Angelina | 2005/12/01

Just heard it on the news. Yes it is great news is it not and the goverment has a year to change the documentation. So when can we get married forsure now? can someone shed some light on the matter from a leagal piont of view? And we owe it all to Marie Fourie and Cecilia Bonthuys. We as the gay and lesbian comunity should do something for them to say thank you and show our grattitude. everyone that is in favour of this please let us know and give some ideas.

Reply to Angelina