Question
Posted by: LOL | 2008/01/30

Graves, pregnancy and weight

Hi, I am not sure what to do anymore. Lately I've been feeling very sick. I was dizzy, felt like fainting, my eye sight is a bit worse, my heartbeat is 125 when relaxing, my hair is falling out, I don't feel strong enough to hold my baby (5 months old) longer than 5min's, I itch allot at night, I am out of breath when walking only 10metres. I am very tired and lost allot of weight (but bear in mind - I am back to my normal weight before I got pregnant. They tested my Thyroid and said I have Basedow Graves disease and gave me Neo Mercazole to drink and on the 11th of Feb I have to do blood tests again, then they are going to perform Radio active Iodine treatment. Isn't that dangers, shouldn't I rather go for the Op? They said it could make you sterile, and I want two more kids - at least. I was always skinny, but the doctor says this is something new, and I haven't had it my whole life. How do I know that? Am I not going to get fat now? I need help; I don't know what to do. They say my "pertegnetaat opname" is 4%. My TSH is 0.01 and my Free T4 is 68.3. Is it really necessary to go for the treatment? Isn't their something I can do to bring it back to normal? And will it really make me sterile. What is the best option: to take it out with Operation or to go for Radio Active Iodine? And which one will not make me fat or sterile? We wanted to start with a family in April, but they say if you go for radio active iodine then you have to wait six months before trying to conceive, is that true?

I can't really help you with thyroid problem, but radioactive iodine does not make you sterile. You do, however, have to wait at least 3 months after treatment before falling pregnant.