Question
Posted by: ruth | 2006/11/06

GRAVES DISEASE

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease and had a complete Thyriodectomy a month ago. One of the symptoms of this disease was Exophthalmos. I still, after the opration, struggle with my eyes. They still bulge & are very sore, red & out of focus. I stuggle to see! Can you tell me if my eyes will return to "normal" & how long can it take for that to happen? I have lost my job because I cannot see anymore! Please help!

Dear Ruth
It is possible that it will return to normal but not a given - the bulging is caused by tissue behind the eye that swells and gets inflamed and stretches the eye nerve, influencing the vision.
See http://www.eyemdlink.com/Condition.asp?ConditionID=219
Try something to lubricate your eyes like Tears naturale. You may need some cortisone treatment - discuss with your doctor.

1
Posted by: Karen | 2006/11/07

My sister also had graves disease and had the radiation tablet to destroy the thyroid, far better than the operation. Her eyes also bulge and that does not return to normal ever. As far as your sight is concerned you should go to an optician and have a thorough check, you may need glasses or perhaps you have some infection or even medication can affect eye sight, specially cortisone.

Best of luck

Reply to Karen