advertisement
Question
Posted by: Dog Lover | 2007/12/03

Grapes

My yorkie loves eating grapes. Is this ok for her? I don't let her eat many as it may cause upset tummy. Worried that it's harmful to her though.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberVet

Here is some info for you:

Grape and raisin poisonings in Dogs

Recently, there was a letter in the AVMA Journal from Dr. Gwaltney-Brant and others at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center discussing grape and raisin poisoning in dogs. Apparently, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities.

The grapes and raisins came from varied sources, including being eaten off the vine directly. The dogs exhibited gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after ingestion of the grapes or raisins. The amount of grapes eaten varied between 9oz. and 2 lbs., which worked out to be between 0.41 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight. Two dogs died directly from the toxicity, three were euthanized due to poor response to treatment and five dogs lived. Due to the severity of the signs and the potential for death, the veterinarians at the poison control center advocate aggressive treatment for any dogs suggested of ingesting excessive amounts of grapes or raisins, including inducing vomiting, stomach lavage (stomach pumping) and administration of activated charcoal, followed by intravenous fluid therapy for at least 48 hours or as indicated based on the results of blood tests for kidney damage.


I have fed my dogs a few grapes every now and then for years, so I don't think there is a need to panic if a dog eats three or four grapes but if the whole bunch is missing from the table one day, it would be good to think about watching for any signs of a toxic reaction.

Michael Richards, DVM
6/5/2001



Michal Update: You may wish to give your veterinarian a call if you suspect your dog has ingested grapes but aren't sure. It's a good idea to know where he is going to be if you might have an emergency later, in case you need to make other arrangements . You both may decide to assume that the dog has eaten the grapes and treat the dog. Whatever the decision, letting your vet know that there is a potential problem going on is a good idea. Newer information from Animal Poison Control has indicated that as few as 7 grapes can be toxic.

02/21/2007

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

2
Our users say:
Posted by: Chill | 2007/12/03

The American SPCA has issued an advisory saying that grapes (and of course raisins) are toxic to dogs, and their poisons database, which appears to be available to vets in the USA, gives advice on how to treat the symptoms which may occur.

Apparently the problem is that it affects the kidneys, and in severe cases may lead to complete kidney failure.

I believe that the amount per body weight which the dogs eat is the critical thing - ie, a large dog could eat more than a small dog before problems are noticeable (same with chocolate).

I asked the previous cybervet about this once, and his reply was 'no problems have been reported in S.A.' - I felt at the time that this was misleading because if this problem wasn't publicised or generally known, then of course it wouldn't be reported on.

Personally, I would say that it's not worth taking the risk - my dogs don't get grapes or raisins and show no signs of deprivation ;-)

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Love my dogs too | 2007/12/03

Hi, I've learnt from several sources that grapes AND raisins are not good for dogs at all and can even lead to death!!! The amount that can be lethal depends on the size of the dog and I can imagine that your Yorkie is very little...maybe search the net if you want further info.

Reply to Love my dogs too

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement