Question
Posted by: Snooky | 2008/06/09

Granuloma in lung

I recently went for a chest X-ray as part of our company's baseline medical. The X-ray revealed a 1cm mark on my left lung. According to the report it is "probably a scar or a granuloma" and "most unlikely that it is an active disease". I have to go back in 3 months for a follow up to see if it has grown. According to the factory doctor it is nothing to loose any sleep over, but he also advised me to speak to my GP. My GP was not available, so I went further and arranged an appointment with an "internis". I also tried to read up on Granuloma, but just confused myself even more. What I would like to know is, can lung scars grow and are granulomas serious?

Dear Snooky
Scars in the lung can develop due to previous infections, even healed TB lesions. A granuloma is growth of tissue stimulated by infection or injury and consists of inflammatory cells. One can get granulomas anywhere in the body and due to different causes. TB typically causes granuloma in the upper lobes of the lungs. If you think that you could have had contact with anybody with active TB, or you have a low immunity due to HIV, using cortisone for asthma, or have any chronic blood disease, it may be worth your while to have a TB PCR blood test to exclude TB. Otherwise a 3 month follow up Chest x/ray will be sufficient.