Question
Posted by: Nickey | 2007/08/15

Grandpa Addiction

Can you get addicted to grandpa’s powders? My husband is taking 2 grandpa powders daily to keep him awake in the mornings. I’m concerned that it is a bad habit. What is the worst case scenario that can happen when you get addicted to grandpa’s or don’t I have any reason for concern?

Dear Nickey
Yes you need to be concerned - on the package insert of the grandpa powders you will see that you are not supposed to take it for longer than 10 days at a time - this is because it causes kidney damage in the long term. He can end up with kidney failure.

2
Posted by: Jane | 2007/08/15

Hi Nickey,

Yes Leez is correct in saying that it can definitely give you an ulcer.

Although it's not good for you and that he really must try to stop, 2 Grand Pa's a day is nothing. About 3 years ago I was on 10 a day and then I tried to get myself off them and started drinking Syndols and about a month ago I was on 18 a day.

I just started praying about this problem I had and I just went cold turkey and have not had any painkillers in all this time. I thank God that He helped me get though this. It was not easy, but I got through it.

Why can't your husband stay awake in the mornings? There might be another problem there. And also, you get so used to popping a pill for anything, and I think that's why your husband thinks he needs these powders to start his day.

Good luck and please tell him that he must rather stop now before it's to late.

Reply to Jane
Posted by: Leez | 2007/08/15

Of course you can get addicted - in fact, sounds like an addiction already. From what I've heard - it can eat at one's stomach lining...?

Reply to Leez