Posted by: Sandy | 2009/04/21

Gran - Dementia

My gran is 89 years old and her behaviour has become very erratic. She has been asked to leave 2 different retirement homes because of her behaviour, she becomes very aggresive and angry if people suggest that she get help. I have taken het to our GP as well as a Neurologist and still feel that she is not getting the help she needs, what should I do??

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

I;m surprised a neurologist could not be more helpful ; a psychiarist might well be able to help, and, ideally, a geriatrician. It can be controversial to use certain medications also used for schizophrenia, suich as Risperdal, as they MAY in some cases , slghtly increase the risk of heart attack or stroke --- but the results can be remarkable, in the person eturning close to normal, being much less aggresive and more happy and clear-thinking, and the medicine is available in liquid form, so it is easy to give in coffee ( Never tea ) or fruit juice, with rapid benefits. Personalliy, and from personal experience, I consider the benefits well worth the risks, but others would disagree.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.