Question
Posted by: Yolande | 2007/03/28

Grain and food adeitive allergy

My son is 2 years and 8 months old. He has been diagnosed as having a grain and food additive allergy / intolerance.

What should I avoid giving him in the future please? Are there any substitutes to what I must avoid?

Dear Yolande
Multiple allergies, particularly in small children are very difficult to handle, so please for the sake of your child do take him to a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assist you with a diet that avoids wheat and food additives, but still enourages normal growth which is so essential at this early stage of your son's life. For articles on food allergies, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & intolerance'. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about allergies. For wheat-free recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za .