Posted by: Kristen | 2011/02/25


Dear Dr Bets hope you are well and thanks alot for all your valuable advice.

I am 3 months pregnant and have been going to the gyne for the pass 2 months and these payments (Very expensive) has come off my savings. Medical aid was supposed to start paying for these visits from month 3 but it is gp visits not gynae visit. Sorry for the long story just wanted to know, if its okay to see a GP and if so when do I need to go back to the gynae maybe last 2 months of pregnancy.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


Your GP should be more than capable to monitor you throughout your pregnancy. You can consult the gynaecologist from week 36 if it is your first child. If not, rather consult your gynaecologist from week 32. You will only need ultrasound at week 16 (to check for abnormalities and to confirm the age of the fetus), 24 and 32, respectively. It is not necessary to have weekly ultrasounds done. Consult your doctor about the costs involved, as there are many procedures and tests which the medical aid might not cover.


Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.