Posted by: Lenore | 2004/01/12

Gout - Need a eating plan

I am 35kg overweight and have just found out that i have gout. I need to loose weight desperately but am not sure exactly how to go about with the gout eating plan. Could you please help me

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Lenore
Because weight loss can exacerbate the gout, I would like to suggest that you consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to a) lose weight, b) keep the gout under control. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian. The dietitian will also be able to assess if you can do exercise at this point in time, e.g. you may find that you need to swim to exercise if the gout is affecting important joints.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.