Question
Posted by: Lenore | 2004/01/12

Gout - Need a eating plan

I am 35kg overweight and have just found out that i have gout. I need to loose weight desperately but am not sure exactly how to go about with the gout eating plan. Could you please help me

Dear Lenore
Because weight loss can exacerbate the gout, I would like to suggest that you consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to a) lose weight, b) keep the gout under control. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian. The dietitian will also be able to assess if you can do exercise at this point in time, e.g. you may find that you need to swim to exercise if the gout is affecting important joints.