Question
Posted by: Alvin | 2004/10/06

Gout, excersize and creatine

I get gout in my ankles and knees. Can you please tell me if excersize will help to improve my situation or only make it worse? Also what kind of excersizes do I need to avoid - I heard weight training cause acid build-up which inturn inflames the gout attacks. Can I use creatine to get into the excersize routine?

Expert ImageArchive

Gout is actually a condition that is largely related to diet. Foods such as red wine and red meat can cause a build up of acidic crystals in the joint, resulting in a painful case of gout. To address this condition, I would recommend speaking to a dietician and doctor to prescribe an eating plan and medication to control the gout. As for activity, exercise will not necessarily help the condition. It might alleviate some pain as you increase circulation to the area, but the primary means of resolving this problem is through diet. I would recommend light-moderate cardiovascular exercise with activities that are not full weight bearing. For instance, cycling or swimming would be very beneficial. I would avoid the weight training sessions, particularly in the areas that are easily inflamed. Focus on upper body instead of lower body.

I would not recommend using creatine in your exercise routine as it will not help control the gout. The solution to the problem is diet.