Question
Posted by: amber | 2007/05/24

Gout and kidney problems??

My boyfriend suffers from gout, he had a foot injury over 5 years ago and his gout reocurs at times. I have read that kidney problems can be involved when you have gout, is this true? He has no insurance right now I got some information online for it but I am concerned about the whole kidney thing.
Also, I do not know if this is tied together but he has a tender lump or like a bulge in the lower area of his stomach right below his belly button only on the right side. He complains about lower back problems as well. I do not know if this is connected but I am concerned.

Dear Amber
He needs to see a doctor - the lump needs to be checked out. Gout does not really cause kidney problems but can damage joints so need treatment.