Question
Posted by: anxious | 2008/01/06

GOUT

CD

When I got home from one of my Walk for Life classes end of Nov I had a painful left ankle. It was sore the next day, but that was all, then it seemed to be fine. A week later I started getting cramp in my left foot and pain in my ankle, but only during the night. This was also only on and off. We went away the last week Dec (21-29) with my brother and family (we drove in convoy) to Botswana and Zambia to Victoria Falls (it was quite splendid!). On 18/12 I woke up and couldn't walk on my left foot, my ankle was so sore and very swollen. My gp was away that whole week and we were leaving that Friday. Thinking I had a bad ankle sprain, I got my sister-in-law to strap it for me (she has done a 1st aid course) and wore the bandage the entire time we were away. I did swim once at a pool at one of the places we stayed but put the bandage back on. After we got home I took the bandage off (30/12) and the swelling seemed no better (if anything it was slightly worse). After speaking to my gp on Wed last week he said I needed to go and see him to rule out my lymphoedema problem (which I have with my right leg). I went on Thurs and he took off the bandage and straight away mentioned it could be a gout problem and said the bandage wasn't being of any help. He gave me a synacthen depot injection (I wasnt expecting to get a bruise on my arm!) and said I couldn't have any pills - I cant take anti-inflamms! I had my usual monthly urine & blood tests (to avoid the cost of another visit!). One of the tests he did is my uric acid test ( I have had them fairly often previously). My questions: (a) Were my initial symptoms, i.e. the cramp and pain in my foot/ankle) a sign of possible gout problems? (b) Is my gp merely confirming this diagnosis with the uric acid test, i.e. he didnt seem to make any mention of any other possible cause of the swelling and when he zones in on one specific possibility, 9/10 he is right?! (c) If it it were a problem such as ankle sprain, wouldn't the bandaging have helped at least a bit with the swelling? It wasnt any better at all.

I am expecting to get my results tomorrow but remain convinced that if I do in fact have elevated uric acid levels, its to do with taking my Coversyl Plus. I am taking Coversyl & Plus for mp bp and my gp has been very reluctant to take me off the Plus because it took him months to get the right combination of bp pills and its been stable at 130/80 for about 2yrs now. It just puzzles me I have elevated uric acid problems (if my results confirm this) despite taking 300mg Puricos daily!

He agrees my Plus might be the problem but wont discuss it until he gets my results!

Thanks for the help.

Have a good 2008!

Dear Anxious

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I suggest that you wait for the results of the serum uric acid levels. It could have been a mono-arthiritis that flaired up for no reason at all. Please be so kind as to advise me about your results.

Kind regards

1
Posted by: Ernie | 2009/03/25

I suffer from gout almost for 25 years
I have had many tests and cures without much success
I use Nexiam daily to control a reflux/Diaphragm problem
My uric acid remains high as my body does not decompose it sufficiently.
I am low on red meat/wine chocolate etc
How can I lower my uric acid level

Reply to Ernie