Question
Posted by: MB | 2005/06/15

GORD, Whooping cough, what?

My 5 year old has for the last 7 months had a cycle of coughing. It starts suddently as a dry bark as though there is a nasal drip and when given a medi it breaks to a loose bronchitis sounding cough. I have been to the ENT, Paediatrician and GP and all have said there is no nasal drip, blood tests showed no allergies and they seem to think it is reflux (GORD) or whooping cough. I do not want her having to go through tests and pokes and prods and I know of other children who have been coughing for a few months. Is there a type of virus that causes this or what could it be?

MB, it may definitely be due to a virus of some sorts, but one would expect the paediatrician to pick up something like that. The problem with GORD is that it may damage the lungs and this is why having the tests done is important. Maybe the safest would be to get a second opinion from a different paediatrician and if he also thinks it is GORD, to see a paediatric gastroenterologist. Good luck.