Question
Posted by: Nico | 2003/12/04

GORD

I suffer terribly from GORD and I need someone to assist in a dietry program to improve my health. It is effecting my work and other performance areas.
Please Help

Dear Nico
I do hope that you have been given appropriate medication to treat this condition If not, then Please do yourself a favour and ask the dr to prescribe appropriate medications for you. Besides taking your medications and avoiding all spicy and fatty foods, and all alcohol and gassy or caffeine-containing drinks (cola drinks, coffee, tea) some patients find that foods with an acid taste (oranges, lemons, pineapple, strawberries) and gas-producing foods (the cabbage family, raw onions and legumes) can also cause discomfort. This is an individual reaction, so it may help to keep a food diary and note down what foods cause YOU discomfort and then to avoid them. Stress is one of the most important factors in GORD, so do try to relax, do relaxing and deep breathing exercises - yoga is ideal. If you find that you cannot control the condition on your own, then please consult a clinical dietitian Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian.
Hope you feel better soon