Question
Posted by: Mandi | 2007/04/10

Good tip for itchy red skin

Hi All,

I have been battling for the past couple of weeks with my JR pup's dry red itchy skin. She is only four months old and I couldn't bear the thought of her having to take cortisone for the rest of her life. Then I discovered Krayons Extra Rich Baby Balm. I put a bit of cream under her "armpits" (where the itchiness is worst) every day. It really works. The first time I used it, the redness disappeared within a couple of hours. Now every time I bath her I put some of the Krayons baby oil in the water. Although wet puppy smell mixed with baby oil is not the most pleasant smell in the world, it works!

Hope this tip helps someone out there!

Mandi

How often are you bathing the pup?

4
Posted by: Chill | 2007/04/10

I'd go even further and say it's seldom IF EVER necessary to bath a dog. I have had German Shepherds who never once had a bath in their lives - rinses, dips, swims - but no shampoo or soap or detergent of any sort - and they've not only been entirely clean and unsmelly, they've also had perfectly healthy skins.

I would suggest that if your pup's already battling with her skin at such a young age, there may be something in her environment that's causing it - and the most likely culprit is food. If I'm right, then all the lotions and potions in the world are not going to make a permanent difference - why don't you try changing her diet/dogfood brand, and see what happens?

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2007/04/10

Hi there,

My opinion; Bathing a dog every 2nd week is still too frequent. The rinsing off after they get back from the beach should be more than enough. You probably know about the natural oils etc. and that frequent washing remove these - I suggest you wash your dog once a month at most.
Regarding keeping the dog away from water - behaviour training is desperately needed - you are creating a situation where your dog is going to get obsessed (sounds like she is already) with water. - it is not normal and is in the same league as dogs obsessed by the laser-lights/ shadows etc. Cecar Milan wrote an excellent book on dealing with this and other behaviour problems. Don't allow your dog to become fixated on something.

My dog also got dry patches under his 'armpits' and I put some Vaseline on - work a treat in a matter of days.

Ciao!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Mandi | 2007/04/10

HI Kate,

I only bath her when she really needs it. (because of her sensitive skin), but one of the reasons she suffers from this skin problem is the fact that she never stays dry for long. She is always either in the pool, or attacking the sprinklers. We've tried keeping her away from water, but she would actually hurt herself trying to get to the sprinklers when she hears them go on. I cleared the baby balm with my vet and he okay'ed it. I just shouldn't overdo it.

Reply to Mandi
Posted by: Kate | 2007/04/10

Hi Mandy, I too am a Jack Russell mom.
Just a question but how often do you bath your Jack Russell?
I take mine to the beach every Sat and Sunday but only rinse them thoroughly and do a good clean with sensitive dog shampoo every 2nd week.
I was just wondering if maybe you bath her to often and thats why she has the dry skin????/

I know that the baby stuff is working now but please becareful as it could cause a build up later on and not be healthy.

My one Jack has a very fine coat and the other a very dense thick coat but just a good rinse afterthe beach rather than bathing all the time keeps there coat and skin healthy.
I was feeding Hills but now they are on Eukanuba - they prefer it.

Reply to Kate