Question
Posted by: Sue | 2004/09/21

Good news!

Hi all, first of all thanks for the great support I received yesterday with the question I posted on how I couldn't afford anti-depressants or treatment at this stage and bla bla bla. It makes a huuuuuge difference when you are having a "down" day and you know you are not alone or the only one that feels that way sometimes!

Well, after long, hard research, I found out my medical does indeed cover some ant-depressants, but not Zoloft which I have been taking previousely. Instead, the doctor prescribed Fluoxetine, to be taken on a daily basis for at least a year, and 50mg Espiride, to be taken 3 times a day for two weeks, and after that as needed.

Yippeee for me, there is hope!!! Thing is, I've never heard of these medications before, can anyone with personal experience enlighten me a bit? And Doc, what do you know about these medicines? Even my Yahoo search on it produced very little results, of no value at all.

Thanks!!!

Hi Sue,
Pleased to hear that things worked out reasonably well for you. FLuoxetine should do just fine, and should be a lot cheaper than Zoloft, which has no specific advantage over it. I usually search on google.com, haven't tried yahoo in years. Fluoxetine is the chemical name for an effective and well-lnown antidepressant first sold as Prozac, and now that it's out of patent, sold under a range of diferent names, all chemically identical but cheaper. Espiride is the trade name for a drug of which the chemical name is Sulpiride, much used by some doctors in SA, not widely used in the rest of the world, and used for some degree of anxiety and depression, though not on its own suitable for treating a significant Depression.
Remember with all drugs, ask your pharmacist ( if they're still talking to anyone these days !) and ask for a package insert, the little bit of white paper listing all details about each drug, including far more than most of us would want to know about it !
So of course you have hope, lot's of it --- keep in contact and do well !

1
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/09/21

Hi Sue,

This is very good news & I'm happy for you.
If I remember correctly, this site does mention some of the medication above. I think Fluoxitine is the generic (chemically equivalent) of Prozac. Not sure about Espiride, but I have heard it mentioned here before. I Sincerely hope I'm not wrong here.
I am sure CS will be more enlightening on this topic.

I am happy that you were able to move out of your state of desparation though.

Take care Sue, talk to you soon,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun