Question
Posted by: Aletta | 2005/11/23

Good for you, CS!

I was watching BBC1 for the weather this morning before work, and the issue being discussed today was OCD. The consensus on the best treatment was CBT, and my first thought was "Oh I knew that...it is exactly what CS would have said!"
Is there still a place for other forms of psychotherapy today, and if so which ones?

PS You know what they say about the English - they are not obsessed with the weather, it is just that they have so much of it!

Thanks --- yes, I think the evidence at present doesn't allow us to give much credence to other forms of psychotherapy. There are a couple of others with some support from research, but they sound to me very like minor variations of CBT. Above all what should be stamped out, is psychoanalysis of whatever variety, as in so many decades, there has never been good evidence either for the effectiveness of this extremely long and expensive treatment, or even for most of the concepts underlying it.

6
Posted by: Aletta | 2005/11/23

Quite a few companies offer this - you phone a local number, and they put you through to the SA number, but you only pay for the local call. We use Dialwise at home, at the office we have BudgetCom

Reply to Aletta
Posted by: Cook | 2005/11/23

This is on my reply i had from you, what network do you use to phone to south africa for 2p p m

Reply to Cook
Posted by: Aletta | 2005/11/23

Sue, I would get really creative at work with that brandy inside of me, but the suggestion sounds great!
Frusty, I agree, have you seen the temps and wind coming this way on Thursday?? Max 3 degrees and gales.
You peops in SA, ENJOY that wonderful weather, this place is freezing!!

Reply to Aletta
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/23

Ayayayay! It isn't even 10 am here yet! Brandy? No thanks. Hot choc, yes please. Going to put the kettle on now!

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: Sue 2 | 2005/11/23

Make a lekka cup of hot choc, add a dash of brandy and put marshies on da top!!!! Guarentted to warm you up in 20 seconds!! YUM

Reply to Sue 2
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/23

Eish, Aletta, please don't talk about the English weather! I am in Yorkshire and I am trying to keep my mind off of it. It is freezing!

Reply to Frusty