Question
Posted by: teen | 2007/06/04

good for a 17 year old...

I am 17 years old and am currently trying to lose some fat off my body and gain muscle, but Im not sure what a good diet for me would be. I dont usually eat unhealthy foods. basically for breakfast I eat fibre bran plus cereal, for lunch I will eat maybe a cheese roll(brown) with some ham maybe. And for dinner whatever my mother makes which is usually just chicken or steak and vegies. I only drink water when I work out though but mostly I drink either coke light or lipton ice tea.
Is there anything wrong with this?

Dear Teen
I agree that the foods your are eating are not unhealthy - fibre bran and cereal, brown bread cheese rolls and lean meat with vegies are healthy foods, but I would say that your diet is sadly lacking in fruit and milk and dairy products (all of which are essential foods for teenagers who are still growing). If you are trying to lose weight then I would recommend that you compare what you are eating with the balanced, energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet') on this Website and make the necessary adjustments. This diet will result in weight loss and if you combine it with regular intensive weight-bearing exercises then you will develop plenty of muscle tissue and also lose fat. You can also find it instructive to read the articles I have written on the subject of 'Diets for Sportsmen and women', which you can access by clicking on 'Fitness' and then on 'Nutrition. The articles dealing with carbohydrates and proteins are of particular importance.

2
Posted by: teen | 2007/06/05

thanks a mill

Reply to teen
Posted by: teen | 2007/06/04

oh and in case it helps, I am 6'2" tall and weigh somewhere between 83 and 87ks. Most of which is muscle but a lot of fat from the love handles to the knees. So yes, a very large bum but I am fine everywhere else which looks wierd.

Reply to teen