Posted by: Leoni | 2008/07/03

Good foods to help dry milk after birth

Hi - I was wondering what foods to avoid and what to stick to when I want to dry my milk up after the birth of my baby. I don't want to eat anything that will stimulate milk production. Breastfeeding didn't work out and my baby was premature. Thanks
Leoni Matthews

Dear Leoni
If you have access to medical treatment then please ask your dr or gynae to prescribe medication to assist with drying up your milk supply. Milk production is stimulated by hormones and there are medications you can take to counteract the hormone production. It is a great pity that you cannot breastfeed your baby esp as it was premature. Do also discuss the possibility of expressing breast milk for your tiny baby. Breast fed infants have such a great advantage which lasts for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: Dean | 2008/07/05

Dear Leoni,
Congratulations on your new baby! Like Diet Doc suggested, expressing would be such a benefit and, you can freeze breastmilk for up to three months as well. It is a bit uncomfortable at first to express (I've been doing it as I have too much milk and my little one often chokes when latching on at first because milk comes too quickly) but you get used to it and it literally takes two or three minutes to express when you get the hang of it. Best of luck with your new little bundle!

Reply to Dean