Question
Posted by: stephan | 2007/02/11

good diet for rugby

Hi, i am 17 years old, 1,93 meters tall and i wiegh about 105kg. I am quite muscular but i also carry around some unwanted fat. I play rugby and my aim for this year is 1st team, but i feel i need to increase my muscle mass and decrease my body fat in order to achieve this. I train every day exept Saterdays and Sundays and i am currently on protein suplements. I only use it when i go to gym. I gym about 2-3 times a week. I have also considered creatine and/or alpha nitrox, but i am unsure about the benifits and dangers. I want to go on a diet but i DO NOT want to lose any muscle mass, how can i do this? What is your opinion on creatine and/or alpha nitrox? Can i drink my protien suplement every day without gaining wieght(fat mass) and which foods should i avoid?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Stephan

I can see that you have aspirations to excel in the rugby league.
In short the protocol boils down to making sure you ingest the right amount of calories for your program, consume those calories in a balanced macronutrient ratio and to understand the value of liquid food (meal replacements) after training sessions.

According to my estimated calculation you should consume about 3500 calories per day for a weight of about 110kg. This is only a estimations as I cannot properly consult with you. Divide those calories into six meals per day with a ratio of 50-60% carbs, 15-25% protein, and 20% fat. Mostly consume low GI carbohydrates and use higher GI carbs during and after training to refuel your stores. Read food labels to supply you with the necessary nutrition information to be able to perform the calculations and visit the GI foundations of SA’s website www.gifoundation.com for more info on the glycemic index of foods which will help you to understand which foods you should eat. What is more important is not which foods you should eat, but rather to get the abovementioned “recipe” correct.

Take a supplement only on training days and immediately after your training sessions. It is best to use a product combining carbs and proteins – this is the window period which is the time available to optimally refuel the body after depletion - obviously you will understand that you will miss the window period if you had to rely on solid food to first follow its digestion. Your concern about putting on weight if you consume a protein supplement daily is only of value when you realize that anything that you consume in excess of the calories that you daily need will make you put on weight, therefore your liquid food supplements should be calculated into your daily intake. Following what I have recommended will certainly ensure a drop in fat mass and an increase in muscle mass – it is a science! So, it you don’t see results you are doing something wrong. This recommendation is suitable for what you want to achieve and is a way of life therefore there is no need to follow a special diet.

Creatine and Nitrox are products for specific usage which I do not even begin to recommend before the nutritional basics are not in place. I usually in anyway do not recommend creatine for those younger than 18 years. Please refer back to the archives of this website on the above where you will find additional information that I discussed before.

Good luck & take care.
Vanessa.