Question
Posted by: Thea | 2004/01/16

GOOD & BAD CARBOHYDRATES

I would like to go on a low carb diet, but am unsure what is good carbo's and what is bad. Is there anyway that I can obtain lists of what is good and what is bad? Please help.

Dear Thea
I am not in favour of a low carb diet as it can have a number of negative side-effects (ketosis, constipation, etc). There are no 'good' or 'bad' foods, just good or bad diets and all foods can form part of a balanced, healthy diet provided they are eaten in moderation. If you want to start using a low GI (Glycaemic Index) diet for slimming then this is a good idea. Carbs are classified according to their GI (low, medium and high) and you can obtain more information about these classifications on the GI Foundation Website at www.gifoundation.com.