Question
Posted by: Golf Fanatic | 2007/08/15

Golf Tour

Hi There

I hope you can help me.

I am part of a provincial ladies golf team that's going to play golf in Cape Town soon. Although I am quite fit I am a bit worried too. We will be playing 2 rounds of 18 holes over the first two days and thereafter it will be 36 holes a day for 4 straight days. Now, my question is:

What can I use to keep my energy levels high? Is there anything I can take to help with recovery time.

Kind Regards

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Golf Fanatic

Sounds like quite a challenge!

To keep energy levels up you have to make sure that you regularly eat something – at least every 2 -3 hours. Make sure you always eat low GI carbs to sustain your energy and drink enough water – at least 2-3l during the day and more if it is very hot.
Try the following: eat uncooked oats (rolled Oats) with low fat yoghurt for breakfast – add some seeds or nuts.
Take a fruit and nuts or a meal replacement bar with you for a snack during your first stretch – easy to keep in your bag. Only if you run out of energy would I recommend that you have a quick intake of higher GI carbs like e.g. a coke / energade / energy bar / dried fruit.
For lunch ask for brown rice mixed half with lentils and chicken stir-fry made with limited oil – do not eat bread or pastas and for heaven’s sake not pies or burgers as they often have available at the golf halfway houses!! Send your dietary requirements ahead of time to prevent disappointment.
Take the same snacks as mentioned above for your afternoon stretch. Bottom line just keep nibbling on slow release carbs to keep your blood sugar levels balanced.

Good luck! Im holding thumbs - Let me know the outcome.

Take care.
Vanessa