Posted by: Lulu | 2008/10/16

Goitre question

My friend has Goitre and i would like to know what medical assistance can he receive as people are very stereoyped about it.
I know its an Iodine defficiency but what medicine can he take as he cant afford specialists.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Lulu
Not all goiters are due to iodine deficiency (they can also be caused by tumours and/or an autoimmune reaction), so it is vital that your friend should see a dr as soon as possible. Depending on what is causing the goitre, the dr will either prescribe thyroid hormone therapy (Eltroxin, etc) or in the case of a tumour removal of the growth may be necessary. The thyroid gland is one of the most important glands in the body which affects practically all our metabolic processes, so if the thyroid does not function properly it can have far reaching effects on health. If your friend cannot afford to see a private dr (a gp can assist him with the diagnosis is he can afford the fee for such a consultation), then I would recommend that he should go to one of the government hospitals or clinics where he will receive treatment. Goitre due to iodine deficiency has become rare in SA every since the government made the iodisation of table salt mandatory. This is why I think your friend needs to have a medical checkup because he could well have a goitre which is caused by other factors, not just iodine deficiency.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.