Question
Posted by: M | 2005/07/04

going to the movies gives me a headache.

Hi doc

i go to the movies quite often, say once a week. practically every time i go i get a headache, around my eye area. it is quite severe at times.

my aaaumption is it is either migraine, or my eyesite is weak. to give you some backgorund, i used to suffer migraines as a child and i dont think i have weak eyes, but many of my siblings wear speactacles. i also work in front of a pc the whole day.

kind regards.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear M,

Eye problems can certainly spark off headaches, but they are usually triggering factors, and not the underlying cause. This is not to say that there is definitely nothing wrong with your eyes, and if your sibling wear spectacles, then it would be advisable to have your eyes checked. If it is not an eye problem, then it is very likely that you have migraine, that is being triggered by the flickering light at the movies.

If you work in front of a computer the whole day, then your posture may be contributing. It is important that the computer, the table, and the chair are at the correct heights. If you contact me on drshevel@headclin.co.za and let me know your fax number, I will send you information on the correct posture for computer work.