Posted by: V | 2008/07/10

Going on 44 & are blowing up by the min.

I have been a size 8 - 10 for the last 15y, but suddenly, the last yeat to 18mnths I have just started picking up weight. I have been drinking a lot of water but also tried some diete remedies. I'm normally very concern of what I eat due to a high level of cholestrol, but lately even if I only have All Bran I tend to blow up like a baloon. I must admit that I do very little exercise and my job has changed from walking during the day to be seated most of the day. I'm very concern and is getting very desperate going on to 44, it does not do me good to feel and look like this. I must be about 60kilos and I'm only 1,57m, please help me.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear V
From what you say, I gather that you have 2 problems: 1) Bloating after eating foods like All Bran and 2) an increase in weight which could be caused by the lack of exercise and/or a yo-yo effect because of your use of diet remedies or excessive water intake. I would recommend that you have a medical checkup so that we can determine what is causing your bloating (irritable bowel syndrome, food allergies, ulcers, gallstones, etc). Once we have a diagnosis I can recommend how you need to change your diet. Your weight gain could be a reaction to the diet remedies you have used and/or water retention due to an electrolyte imbalance because of loss of minerals like potassium and sodium through excessive water intake. Try to reduce your water intake so that you only ingest 2,5 litres of LIQUID (this includes tea, coffee, milk, fruit juice, cold drinks, etc, etc) a day. Your present BMI = 24,3 which is still nicely within the normal range, so I would recommend that you stop using diet remedies and rather make a plan to do 30 min of aerobic exercise a day (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.