Question
Posted by: bread & cheese lover | 2004/11/17

gluten/wheat intolerance

Hi!
Please help! (don't we all start like that?) I suspect I have either a wheat or gluten intolerance - maybe even lactose ~ I have read a few of the articles on the web, and the symptoms sound very familiar! (abdominal cramps , tiredness, runny nose, nasal drip, (sinusitis) periodic spastic colon and constipation)
In general I eat a very healthy diet - no meat, 6 - 7 veg servings a day, lentils,brown rice , low fat no sugar- but also a few ryvita/provita a day and high fibre cereal., + al least 175 ml joghurt & cheese. I had an allergy test - nothing !! (except dust etc - no food!) How do I determine if it is actually the case?? I love breads/cereals - and joghurt is like pudding for me - I don't want to give it up for nothing?(o - also struggling to lose weight in spite of eating sensibly - can that be a symptom? BMI = 22)

Dear Reader
If the allergy test showed that you are allergic to dust, then this is what is causing your runny nose and nasal drip. So get treatment for this condition to at least resolve these symptoms. You may be iron deficient if you don't eat any meat or fish, and this could be causing the tiredness - have your iron levels checked. The abdominal cramps and spatic colon, etc, could be due to any one of the foods you are eating or just the high fibre content of your diet. One of the prime causes of spastic colon is stress, so try doing yoga to learn to relax. You are not losing weight because you have already achieved the ideal BMI for women of 22. So relax and continue using that yogurt and cheese otherwise you will develop a calcium deficiency too.