Question
Posted by: Mish | 2007/05/28

Gluten intolerance and asthma

I am 41 and have found out recently via Bio feedback that I am gluten intolerant.
Is it possible that by eating grain productsthat my asthma is also being triggered off. (I have really really been battling with my breathing lately).I am also continually tired, despite cyling a lot and over the past 5months have felt like I am going backwards despite being fit.From doing very well in races I am now battling to keep up. Could it be that my body is now saying whoa!! because the grains are affecting me so badly?

Dear Mish
As I mentioned in an article on food intolerance and food allergy the other day which was published on the DietDoc Website, the only sure way to know if you are really allergic to wheat products is to have laboratory tests done. I do not know what you mean by biofeedback to diagnose gluten allergy, but if you did not have this done at an accredited medical pathology lab, then I would doubt the veracity of the results. You need to find out if you are gluten intolerant and also if this is affecting your asthma. If you have cut out all grains this would mean that your carbohydrate intake has plummeted and this would explain why you are so tired. Carbohydrates are the best and most readily available source of energy for physical exercise, so if your tests show gluten allergy and you have to cut out all wheat products, then it is essential for you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that the dietitian can help you work out a diet that avoids the offending foods, but still supplies you with sufficient energy to do the cycling. So go for proper allergy tests, obtain a diagnosis, and consult a dietitian to sort out how you can sustain your activity without using wheat products.
Hope you get this problem sorted.