Question
Posted by: Sky | 2011/09/01

Gluten Free Diet

Dear DietDoc

i have been diagnosed as gluten intolerant and i would love it if the eating plans with exercise could cater for us poor gluten intolerant sufferers.

can you help?

Dear Sky
I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with gluten intolerance because this is a rather tricky condition to treat nowadays when most commercial foods contain some form of wheat, rye, oats, barley, spelt, kamut, or titricale. I don't have a specific diet for gluten intolerance, but it may help to click on 'Diet'n Food' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & Intolerance' to read more about wheat/gluten allergy. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to help you identify foods that need to be avoided. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za . If you find it difficult to work out what you can safely eat, please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to guide you through the initial stages until you are used to a gluten-free diet. Patients with gluten intolerance can use any type of exercise programme they like, such as going to gym, joining Walk for Life, or brisk walking, cycling or skipping.

1

Dear Sky