Question
Posted by: Illze | 2007/03/30

Gluteal tendinitis

I'll be running my first 21 km race next weekend (07/04), however I'm currently receiving treatment for gluteal tendinitis. The fisio gave me stretches to do twice daily and I've been visiting her for treatment everday since Wednesday (28/03) will also be going on Monday. This is my first sport injury and I would thus like to know how long does tendinitis take to clear up? My first symptoms started 19/03. I would realy like to run next weekend but wouldn't want to hurt myself beyond repair in doing so.

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Lize:

Depending on the severity of the tendonitis, the general time-line for complete rehabilitation of a tendonitis injury is about 6 weeks. You will need to discuss with your physiotherapist when he/she feels you are ready to progress to the final phase of rehabilitation, with a Biokineticist. The Biokineticitst would thus prescribe exercises that can increase the strength of the tendon both concentrically and eccentrically, to help restore the tendon to its normal function.

You should also treat the cause of the tendonitis. Two common reasons for tendonitis are overtraining and biomechanical factors (e.g.: bad running technique). The Biokineticist would be able to assess this and provide adequate treatment/ advice.

Go well.