Question
Posted by: YM | 2007/12/13

Glucose powder

I have recently mixed glucose powder with a normal powerade drink. I cannot drink those gels because i get nauseas. I ran the 2007 Comrades with only 600ml bottle with powerade & glucose powder mixed. The question is - is this advisable ?

Hi there YM

Not sure you need to mix it actually. That is, powerade already contains about 7.8g of glucose per 100ml, and so if you just drink say 400 to 600ml per hour, you'd be replacing more than enough energy to get through, given the length of exercise and the intensity of running. So the addition of more glucose is probably a little unecessary.

The other risk, which it seems you're not affected by) is that when you increase the glucose concentration of the drink, you can cause stomach problems. So, adding glucose might predispose you to having stomach problems, because the glucose concentration will increase above the recommended amount (which Powerade already has).

That said, we've found that everyone is different, and so it may be that you can get away with this. If so, and it doesn't negatively affect your running, you've done the Comrades once before, without problems, then it clearly works for you, so why change it? It's not harmful, unless it causes stomach problems, which it doesn't seem to!

Ross