Question
Posted by: J | 2005/01/11

Glucose & Glucose replacement

I have been reading about the replacement of carbohydrate with hi gi foods within 30-60 minutes of completing exercise. My friend is a keen cyclist - can he replace carbs in this initial stage or during a race by using glucose powder dissolved with water / a fruit juice. If yes - how much should be take, how often and when (before during or after racing/training).

Thanks and best regards
Joan

Hi Joan

It is a good idea to replace both carbs and proteins after exercise. There are biochemical reasons for this, and combining carbs and proteins help with both muscle regeneration and obviously the replacement of energy that was used during the exercise bout.

With regards to how much, glucose during the race is a good idea, whether he wants to take his own mixture or just go with the simple option of drinking glucose, I would suggest it. The important thing there is to take a mixture that is 7% glucose (so 7 g of powder in 100ml of water). If you take this, then drinking 500 ml per hour, or depending on thirst will replace between 35 g and 50 g per hour, which is sufficient.

As for post exercise, I think that eating a decent meal as soon as the appetite allows is the important thing. I won't suggest a serving size, because that would be guesswork, but any well balanced meal is sufficient.