Question
Posted by: CCC | 2005/11/23

Glucophage and its disadvantage

My friend is having problem with her sugar level so her doc prescribed her with glucophage and advised her to take till she get preggies. She is wondering whether it will affect her fertility. Does it have any side effects on both baby and mother if you are pregnant??

Please advice.

If anything it should help with fertility if she has PCOS, and will not affect the mother or baby.

1
Posted by: Kippie | 2005/11/23

No!! In fact it will enhance her chances of falling pregnant. Glucophage are sometimes given to women that struggles to ovulate.
I am a Glucopahge user for almost 5 years no and have successfully fell pregnant although I have insulin resistance, underactice thyroid an PCOS.

If she falls pregnant whilst using it, she must bring it under the attention of her gynae as soon as she finds out because there is this huge controversy under the gynaes - some are for the use of it during pregnancy and others are not. For instance my first gynae stopped the use of it immediately when I found out that I was preganant (at about 5 weeks) and when I switched gynaes at 18 weeks, the second gynae said he would have preferred me to continue the use, but ofcourse I could not suddenly start again.
I started right after the birth again.
Good luck!

Reply to Kippie