Question

Glucophage

Dear Doctor

I had a miscarriage in September 2010 and June 2011. I was scheduled to go back to my fertility specialist for testing when I fell pregnanct again. I saw my doc yesterday and several blood tests were done one of them being the fasting insulin test. The result came up at 25. I stopped taking glucophage about two years ago after the birth my daughter. I now suspect that the miscarriages may have been caused by the insulin resistance.

Can you advise whether starkting glucophage now, after conceiving, map prevent a miscarriage. I am so worried and feel that this pregnancy is doomed. I am only 4/5 weeks along now. Nothing could be picked up from a transvaginal scan. Doc was however very happy with my uterine lining. I am going back next week Thursday for a further scan.

Your advice will be highly appreciated.

Dear Anon

There appears to be certain conflicting pieces of information which needs to be clarified. If your insulin test was done within 4 weeks of conception then this result must be viewed with certain degree of skepticism since the hormones of pregnancy itself may still be influencing your insulin level and giving a falsely elevated level. Furthermore there may well be other more common and more likely causes for your miscarriages than simple elevation of insulin and starting Glucophage at this point will not guarantee that the pregnancy will continue normally. However if there definite ultrasound features of polycystic ovarian syndrome and you are attempting to conceive in the future then there is no contraindication to using Glucophage. In the latter scenario the use of Glucophage is safe and will certainly improve the quality of ovulation and implantation as well.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

3

Thanks Dee. Things seem to be going well so far.

Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/07/21

Dear Anon

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: Dee | 2011/07/19

Best you speak to your doctor. you can also google glucophage and pregnancy and read the attached articles. Good Luck

Reply to Dee