Question
Posted by: Ana | 2007/03/19

Glucophage

My dr presribed these for me, pls can i have more information.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Metformin (glucophage) is generally prescribed to lwer abnormally high blood glucose (sugar) levels in patients with non-insulin diaetes (type 2) whose blood sugar levels cannot be adequately controlled by diet or exercise alone.
It decreases the liver's production of glucose, inhibits the breakdown of fatty acids used to produce glucose and increase the removal of glucose from muscle, the liver and other body tissues where it is stored

3
Posted by: Snoopy | 2007/03/29

I know how you feel, I've also been trying to get pregnant since July 2006, up to now - no luck. I have however been back to the docter, who did a sonar and said that my ovaries look a lot better (I am currently ovaulating normally), but according to her the damage PCOS did can take up to 4 years to repair (repair with a low GI diet, exercise and the Glucophage). Unfortunately I can't give you an indiaction of how long it will take to get pregnant, but good luck, and I hope it happens soon...

Reply to Snoopy
Posted by: Ana | 2007/03/22

I also have PCOS and im prediabetic, but im trying to have a baby and my dr says im overweight, i weigh 67 and need to come down to 55. How long would it take for me to get pregnant.

Reply to Ana
Posted by: Snoopy | 2007/03/20

Hi Ana,

I am also on Glucophage - my docter prescirbed it because I have PCOS (Polycyctic Ovay Syndrome). The Glocophage is basically to make your body more sensitive to insullin. I don't know what your circumstances is, but I am insulin resistant, so my body produces too much insulin, the glucophage makes your body more sensitive to insulin, thus preventing too much insulin being secreted.

Reply to Snoopy