Question
Posted by: Bobby | 2005/12/05

Glucophage?

HI

I have recently started treatment at Medfem. We have been trying for 2 years to conceive with no success. I had a miscarriage at 8weeks a few months ago. My husband has been put on Glucophage as his sperm morphology is less than 2%, and he has indications of being hyperglycemic. I went for my day 12 scan recently and have now also been put on Glucophage as I had mutiple follicles, and my lining was not thick enough for the stage I was at in my cycle. Can the lining thickness and the no. of follicles indicate an insulin problem?

Dear Bobby

The thickness of the endometrial lining and the number of follicles does not necessarily indicate an insulin problem. The diagnosis of insulin resistance should have been made PRIOR to starting ultrasound monitoring. It would be advisable to do the necessary blood test to CONFIRM that there is in fact insulin resistance and treatment should then be instituted according to the results of these investigations.
The indiscriminate use of glucophage in patients who are normo-glycaemic individulas may be hazardous and the safety of glucophage to the early embryo has not been conclusive, i.e we are not absolutley certain that glucophage does not cause early embryopathy, or early embryo damage and therefore its indiscriminate use should be discouraged. The inappropriate thin lining is related more to a lack of estogen than a metabolic abnormality of insulin resistance.