Question
Posted by: CD | 2008/01/03

glandular fever / a-typical cells / EBV

I had a lump removed from my neck in August 2007. A biopsy was done, and they found a-typical cells, not cancerous.

I decided to go for a second opinion and was told that I simply have glandular fever. I had blood tests done and they traced EBV in my blood (long term exposure). All the other tests associated to the EBV were negative. I was told only to start worrying if the lumps are present for longer than 6 months.

I am a bit worried because now I have lots of lumps in my neck (these have developed over the past 4 months). What must I do.

Dear CD

I really think you should get a follow-up examination by a physician. Have they checked for all the conditions below?

Causes of enlarged lymphnodes can be:
Common infections:Strep throat, Ear infections, Infected (abscessed) tooth, EBV
Other infections: Tuberculosis
Certain sexually transmitted diseases, such as syphilis
Toxoplasmosis — a parasitic infection resulting from contact with the feces of an infected cat or eating undercooked meat
Cat scratch fever — a bacterial infection from a cat scratch or bite
Other: Lupus, Rheumatoid arthritis, HIV
People with hayfever sometimes have small enlarged lymphnodes in the neck (<1cm in size)

1
Posted by: koena | 2008/02/05

i have swollen upper lip and it is deforming my face when i check it is a small red dot on my gums is it my lymphnodes?

Reply to koena