Question
Posted by: Cathy | 2007/08/04

Glandular Fever

I was diagnosed with Glandular Fever 3 days ago.

I work in the TV industry, and it is close to impossible for me to get a day off work. I lose out on a part of my salary (I'm a freelancer) as well as the station cannot afford to have me off for a few weeks.

The doctor has said that I should get plenty of rest, but I cannot do so.

Doc, is there anything I can take to make me feel a little more energetic and not so listliss and nauseas the whole time? I cant rest as much as I should, but I don't want to feel so horrible 24/7.

Thanks!

Cathy

Dear Cathy

Glandular fever is a viral infection and can make you feel really tired and there is not much you can do to increase your energy! You can take immune boosters like Echinacea or Moducare, take high doses of vit b complex and vit C, and take things slower. It can take up to a few weeks to really start feeling better.

About taking sick leave and the station not being able to afford having you off - ask them if you could work flexi hours and go and lie down if you really feel bad.

(And ask yourself if they will to put a statue of you in front of the building if you die because of working too hard? ;-) Unfortunately if you work for yourself, you are actually more of a slave driver on yourself than an external boss...so do be kind and sympathetic to yourself too.